The road to recovery after fighting Covid-19 comes with unique challenges. Because the symptoms of Covid can vary drastically between individuals, the journey of rehabilitation may look different for each person. If you’ve gone through a severe case of the illness, you may have been left with damage and impairment to your body that can negatively impact your quality of life.
Identifying Post-Covid Health Concerns
In some cases, symptoms from Covid-19 can linger for weeks or even months. Ongoing research suggests the virus can cause the body’s immune system to go into overdrive and attack healthy organs and tissues. Physical therapy for post-Covid rehab can be a great solution for those experiencing some of the following symptoms after a bout of coronavirus:
- Severe fatigue
- Shortness of breath
- Pleuritic breathing (pain or discomfort with breaths)
- Brain fog or issues remembering or concentrating on tasks
- Heart palpitations
- Muscle weakness
Reconditioning Your Body
Even if you were in excellent shape before Covid, your body can sustain significant weakening from the virus. Damage to the heart, lungs, muscles and the vestibular system might cause you to tire quickly from everyday tasks, and even walking may have become difficult. Fortunately, regaining strength is entirely possible.
Baby steps are key to recovering physical strength, balance and stamina after Covid-19. When seeking physical therapy in Shadows, Louisiana for post-Covid recovery, expect phases of improvement in the important areas of breath, balance, crossbody patterns, strength and endurance:
- Practice taking deep, slow breaths, holding them for several seconds before releasing them. Humming and singing can also help promote deep breathing.
- Improve your vestibular system by moving your head side to side, rolling your body and doing eye and head nods.
- Use crossbody movements, such as a cross-body crawl or cross-body toe touch, to improve coordination in both hemispheres of the brain.
- Build muscle strength with body-weight exercises and lightweight exercises, such as bicep curls and shoulder presses, increasing weight as strength develops.
- Begin with what cardiovascular exercise you can manage. For example, you might start with five minutes and, once you’re comfortable with that, extend to 10 minutes, 15 minutes, and so on.
Seeking Professional Help
You don’t have to recover on your own. With Covid being a global pandemic, rehabilitation strategies have been tried, tested and studied extensively throughout the world, and they are highly effective. Denham Springs, Louisiana physical therapy treatment is available for anyone looking to learn and implement the tools and techniques that are most effective in battling post-Covid symptoms.
A physical therapist can walk you through the most helpful routines for your situation and put together a customized plan for rehabilitation. Receiving the feedback and support of a physical therapy team can make all the difference toward full recovery. They can also ensure your treatment is in line with the most up-to-date research on Covid-19 and post-Covid recovery.
While it can feel isolating to quarantine for Covid and go through the recovery process, the truth is that never in the world’s history have so many people experienced the same struggle at the same time. With some effort and patience, you can build back your strength and rejoin the world as a better you.