Mother Nature could be described as perfection, she provides us with everything we need to survive and one aspect of nature is the many herbs and spices that have been discovered. Herbs and spices are primarily used to improve the taste of food and there are a large number of substances that are classed as herbs or spices.
Here is a selection that you may not have heard of.
- Cardamom – This usually comes in powder form and is made from seed pods of the cardamom plant, which is a close relative of ginger and turmeric. The plant grows in tropical climates with a fair amount of rainfall and it is one of the most expensive spices on the planet, due to its rarity.
- Hibiscus – Organic dried hibiscus is a very popular herb that is made from the dried petals of the hibiscus flower. Add to boiling water to release the flavours and aromas, which resemble cranberries, while this herb is high in levels of antioxidants, which are known to reduce blood pressure and promote liver health.
- Blue cornflower – This herb has been used for thousands of years and is said to promote good health and happiness; benefits include anti-inflammatory properties, easing of fever and suppression of appetite. Some say it even removes dandruff and this is the National Flower of Estonia, with a slightly sweet and clove-like taste.
- Fennel seed – Favoured in both Greek and Roman society, this herb was believed to give warriors extra strength and courage; they were given tea made with the seed before engaging in battle. Ferrel seed tea is said to promote good health and well-being and this herb is available from a leading Australian herbs & spices provider.
- Star Anise – This herb is said to have many health benefits and is commonly added to Chinese tea as well as the beverage known as Chinese Five Spices. Star anise is known to have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial qualities, with antioxidants such as quercetin, linalool and Vitamin C.
The above are just a selection of herbs and spices that you can order in bulk from a leading Australian supplier; if you would like a few sample packs, search the web to find the website of a reputable supplier and you can place an order.